Hi how are you all? I am well. The weather is getting cooler here as we come into Autumn. Where I live, the trees don’t really change colour. But only a few hours from us and they do, which is nice to see.
In my country we have just celebrated Mother’s Day. This is a day to honour our mums, grandmas and spiritual mums and grandmas. It is a time of present giving and the spoiling of mums.
So why do mums need this honour? Is there a biblical reason to this? I believe it is and is found in Proverbs 31. This is generally known as women in their roles as wives but I believe it is more encompassing than that and includes every facet of a woman’s life.
Let’s have a look at the passage in the Message Translation. It states:
31 A good woman is hard to find,
and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She’s like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
and brings back exotic surprises.
She’s up before dawn, preparing breakfast
for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
then, with money she’s put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She’s skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
diligent in homemaking.
She’s quick to assist anyone in need,
reaches out to help the poor.
She doesn’t worry about her family when it snows;
their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing,
and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected
when he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them,
brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
and she always says it kindly.
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;
her husband joins in with words of praise:
“Many women have done wonderful things,
but you’ve outclassed them all!”
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
The woman to be admired and praised
is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
Adorn her life with praises!
So let’s look at this woman through the eyes of a child.
- Her and dad love each other and trust is always present. How beautiful when a child grows up with both parents loving each other and them. Sometimes it doesn’t happen like this in one parent families or even step families but when the mother is good, the children do well.
- She treats her husband generously. If she treats him generously then this will be noticed by the children and they in turn will be likewise treated the same. This also is the same in other types of family- where the mother is generous, the example of generosity is followed through.
- The next few lines talk about provision. The family and children are well provided for. It doesn’t say rich but provided for. Children feel safe in a family where provision occurs.
- She keeps an eye on all in her household. Her children are watched over, protected and taught. She has their best interests at heart and teaches them through actions and the way she speaks. She keeps them busy and productive. Laziness is not tolerated.
- Her children respect and bless her. For me, this is the highest honour as a mum that my children respect me and bless me. It should be the same for you as a mum.
So, how did you go? I have made many mistakes over the years and did lots of things wrong. But one thing I did right, I will never and have never given up on my children or seeing them reach their potential.
Let’s make a pact to not only pray for our children regularly but to go to God and ask for what we need to be better mums. If your role is mum and dad, then you deserve to be honoured to.
So happy Mother’s Day to all the mums. May God bless you and keep you and make His face shine upon you.
Love you lots and keep living the life God intended for you.