Your story is very important. You may not think so but your story could be the difference between someone knowing about God to someone actually knowing God. The things that you have gone through, the triumphs, the tragedies, the victories and the struggles all make up your story. But the most important impact of your story comes not from you or the events in your life but how Jesus led you through them to come out the other side.
The Old Testament is full of stories of people’s lives – just like you and me. Our stories could be written in the Bible too (except it tells us not to add or take away anything that’s already in or from the Bible). But our story is read everyday by those around us – either those who know us personally or those that are looking on from afar.
The Bible states in 2 Corinthians 3:2 in the Message Bible that “Your very lives are a letter that anyone can read by just looking at you”. This is a scary thought – that our lives are being read by others. So then how should we be conducting ourselves if others are reading our lives.
Some of the ways are:
1. By ensuring that the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22 is in our lives – that our lives contain love, peace, joy, patience, faithfulness,self-control, kindness, goodness and gentleness.
2. By loving others even when they are hard to love.
3. Standing on God way of doing things even though it is against others ways.
4. Loving and honouring God in our lives.
5. Living a life of integrity, honesty and morals.
6. How we react to hard or tough situations.
7. How we honour our leaders.
If others can see those things in our lives, then they will want them to. For me, they only come from my relationship with Jesus because most of the time I would not be like that at all, if not for Him.
When I mess up in one of these areas, I ask God for forgiveness like we all should. We should all want to be lights on a hill not under a basket so all can see the light, Jesus that’s within us.
If we will keep striving to be like this, relying on the Holy Spirit and God’s strength and grace to help us, then our lives can be a good book that someone else can read and be changed by.
So this week, concentrate on one of the areas above and keep living the life God intended for you!